Dr. Barbee has long recognized that the mouth can be an early detector and contributor to systemic illness, and believes that dentists can be more than "tooth doctors," but rather oral physicians.
**Of the 140,000 dentists in the U.S., only 6,000 offer VELscope screening to their patients. Dr. Barbee offers a complimentary Velscope screening to all patients in their intial exam. Dr. Barbee is truly dedicated to your overall dental health and not just your teeth.
is a dental scope that helps detect oral cancer. If the doctor sees any
ulceration or lesion in the mouth that looks suspicious he may use the
VELscope to detect any dysplasia.
This is not a substitute for biopsy, but it can help detect early cell changes that may develop into cancer.
THE HARD FACTS
- Oral cancer is 3x more prevalent than cervical cancer and 2x as lethal.
- The fastest growing population of oral cancer victims is non-smokers under forty years of age.
- The incidence of oral cancer increased 11% in 2007, and its survival rate has remained unchanged for decades.
- That survival rate is 52%, but when discovered early, it increases to 80-90%.
- Unfortunately, only 35% of oral cancer cases are diagnosed in the early stages.
- And surgical treatment for this oral condition is tragically life-altering.
WHY CONSIDER TESTING NOW?
- Because pre-malignant changes actually start below the surface of the basement membrane where they are not apparent until late-stage eruption.
- RISK FACTORS YOU CAN CONTROL
- Tobacco use
- More than 15 alcoholic beverages per week
- Combined use of tobacco & alcohol significantly increases risk
- Excessive, unprotective exposure to the sun
- Low intake of fruits & vegtables
- Sexual activity choices
*** The Oral Cancer Foundation
- Tragically, more than 25% of those diagnosed with oral cancer exhibit no lifestyle risk factors, according to the American Dental Association.